1. The term "we" or "us" means JACL.
2. The term "you" means a current or former JACL member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining an JACL product or service (e.g. a person who has been or are a member, purchased resource materials or a person who subscribes to the Pacific Citizen, a newspaper published by the JACL).
3. The term "personal information" means any piece of information that on its own can specifically identify a current or former JACL member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining a JACL product or service. This would include, but is not limited to, full name, postal address, e-mail address and phone number(s).
4. The term "JACL website" means JACL's external website: http://www.jacl.org and any future websites that we may develop.
5. The term "JACL intranet" means JACL's internal, private and secure website for chapter leaders and staff.
6. The term "JACL-related organizations" includes, but is not limited to the JACL Credit Union, JACL Health Benefits Trust and any other entity operating under the umbrella of the national JACL.
7. The term "third party" means a legal entity that is separate and independent from JACL, its Districts and chapter affiliates, or any JACL-related organization.
8. The term "cookie" means a small file that is placed on your computer that allows a website to store, and sometimes track, information about how you use that website.
9. The term "discussion forum" means an asynchronous website component that enables users to exchange ideas by posting questions and answers on relevant subjects. Discussion forums are also commonly referred to as "discussion groups," "discussion boards," "message boards," "bulletin boards," and "online forums."
III. Personal Information Collected
We may collect personal information about you from the following sources:
1. Personal information that you voluntarily provide to us on your membership application and other JACL forms — whether online via the JACL website or JACL intranet or offline via traditional, hard copy forms (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, etc.).
2. Other personal information that you voluntarily provide to us via the JACL website or JACL intranet (such as an e-mail address if you subscribe to an JACL-produced electronic newsletter or other personal information contained in an e-mail that you send to us via the feedback feature of the JACL website).
3. Personal information that we receive from our districts and chapter affiliates or other JACL-related organizations (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, etc.).
IV. How We Use That Information
The personal information that JACL collects about you helps us and our districts and chapter affiliates and JACL-related organizations to efficiently and effectively represent you and provide you with valuable member benefits.
V. Information Sharing
In order to provide you with efficient and effective representation and member benefits, we routinely share all of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with our districts and chapter affiliates and JACL-related organizations, as well as third parties that perform services on our behalf. Additionally, we may share any of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with certain third parties that share our interests or as otherwise permitted by law.
VI. Available Choices
Any personal information that you provide to us is voluntary. JACL members may update their personal information at any time. For information on how to contact us, please visit the JACL website at: http://www.jacl.org/contact/contact.htm If you subscribe to any JACL-produced electronic newsletter or updates, you may cancel your subscription at any time by following the instructions at the bottom of all such newsletters. If you have any problems canceling such an electronic subscription, please contact either the National JACL Membership Coordinator at email@example.com, the National JACL Director of Public Policy at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a message to the general mailbox at email@example.com
VII. Your California Privacy Rights
California residents have a right under certain laws to ask entities with whom they have an established business relationship to provide certain information regarding the sharing of personal information for direct marketing purposes during the past year. JACL will honor such a request coming from any current or former JACL member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining an JACL product or service — whether residing in California or not. Simply submit a request to us at the following address: National JACL Headquarters, 1765 Sutter Street, San Francisco, California 94115 and we will respond within thirty days of receiving your request.
VIII. Information Security
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to: (1) insure the security and confidentiality of your personal information; (2) protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of such information; and (3) protect against unauthorized access to or use of such information. For more information on our information security, you may contact National JACL Membership Coordinator, Business Manager or website administrator.
IX. Additional Information for Users of the JACL Web Site or JACL Intranet
A. Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
If you use the JACL website or the JACL Intranet, you provide us with certain non-personal information in addition to any personal information that you may voluntarily provide. For example, if you browse the JACL website or JACL Intranet or download information, our operating system automatically records the following non-personal information:
1. The internet domain for your internet service (such as "xcompany.com" or "xcompany.net" if you use a private internet access account, or "yourcollege.edu" if you connect from a college or university domain);
2. The type of browser that you use (such as AOL or Microsoft Internet Explorer);
3. The type of operating system that you use (such as Windows or Macintosh);
4. The date and time that you visit the JACL website or JACL Intranet and the pages viewed;
5. The address of the previous website that you visited if you linked to us from another website; and
6. The address of the next website that you visit if you link to it from the JACL website or JACL Intranet.
We use the above non-personal information to diagnose technical problems and track user interests so that we can provide content that interests you.
We gather this non-personal information in the aggregate and we share it in the same manner that we share personal information, as described in Section V. above.
C. Discussion Forums
If you participate in a discussion forum on the JACL website or JACL Intranet, your comments, along with any personal information that you voluntarily disclose, may be collected, used, and shared by anyone with access to that forum. We are not responsible for the personal information that you choose to submit in a discussion forum.
The JACL website and JACL intranet are general websites, and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13.
E. External Links
XI. Contact Us